The For the People Act
(JCRC is monitoring)
Voting, civic engagement, and fair access to the polls are the core OF a healthy democracy. H.R. 1, the For the People Act of 2021 (the bill will be S. 1 in the Senate) passed the House of Representatives on March 3, 2021. This legislation will make voting easier and more accessible, and modernize future elections. The For the People Act WILL address some of the most pressing issues facing our democracy including:
- Restoring the Voting Rights Act;
- Modernizing our voter registration system;
- Updating the public financing of elections through small donor matching funds;
- Curbing partisan gerrymandering;
- Making campaign contributions more transparent.