The JCRC has established consensus positions on a range of public policy issues. You will begin to see more Action Alerts from us, which will be designed to help you communicate directly with your elected officials.
Here is the Indy JCRC’s position statement regarding Immigrants and Refugees:
JCRC reaffirms our support for a fair and humane immigration policy and the fair and humane treatment of immigrants within our communities. JCRC opposes efforts to reduce the availability of benefits to immigrants and refugees. JCRC will work to maintain immigrant and refugee eligibility for public assistance.
Congress has set February 8 as the deadline for negotiating a deal for passage of the Dream Act. We support a clean Dream Act. However, as an alternative to a clean Dream Act Representative Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) introduced the Securing America’s Future (SAF) Act which has garnered support from the Administration and 82 House members. We urge Members of Congress to reject this bill and instead work towards a bipartisan solution that includes a pathway to citizenship for Dreamers.
We oppose the SAF Act (H.R. 4760) because it:
● Has no pathway to citizenship, only a temporary legal status that current DACA recipients can renew every three years, meaning their legal status will never be certain and will always face the threat of being revoked.
● Separates and harms immigrant families by eliminating green card programs for any relatives other than spouses and minor children. It permanently bans families from reuniting in this country, rather than remedying existing prolonged family separation.
● Expands E-Verify without enhancing protections for immigrant workers.
● Significantly cuts legal immigration and essentially only permits individuals who have certain education levels, work history, English-language ability, or high-paying job offers to enter the United States.
● Eliminates the Diversity Visa Program, which provides up to 50,000 visas annually for immigrants who do not have access to employment- or family-based visas.
We support the bipartisan Dream Act (H.R. 3440) or USA Act (H.R. 4796) because it:
● Grants permanent residence status and provides a path to citizenship for Dreamers who graduate from U.S. high schools and attend college, enter the workforce, or enlist in the military. Click here for more information
CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE TODAY:
Indiana U.S. House of Representatives:
·Peter Visclosky- District 1, Thank him for supporting HR 3440
·Jackie Walorski- District 2
·Jim Banks– District 3
·Todd Rokita- District 4
·Susan Brooks- District 5
·Luke Messer- District 6
·Andre Carson- District 7, Thank him for supporting HR 3440
·Larry Bucshon- District 8
·Trey Hollingsworth- District 9
Find your representative by zip code here.
Hello, my name is [fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][Full Name] I live at [Full Address] in [CITY/TOWN], and I am strongly OPPOSED to H.R. 4760, the Securing America’s Future Act. I am calling to urge Representative [Name] to reject this bill and instead work towards a bipartisan solution, like the Dream Act (H.R. 3440) or the USA Act (H.R. 4796). Both of these bills provide Dreamers a pathway to citizenship and protects immigrant families. The Securing America’s Future Act does not provide Dreamers with a pathway to citizenship and separates immigrant families. Dreamers and their families MUST be a part of America’s future. I urge you to oppose this bill.
Sample THANK YOU Script:
Hello, my name is [Full Name] I live at [Full Address] in [CITY/TOWN], and I am calling to THANK Representative [Name] for Co-Sponsoring the Dream Act (H.R. 3440). Dreamers and their families MUST be a part of America’s future. Thank you for supporting this important bill.[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]