Indianapolis Jewish Community Relations Council Statement on H.Res. 311
The Indianapolis Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) is grateful for the wide show of Congressional support for H.Res. 311, passed as Israel turns 75 years old this week. This important resolution celebrates the U.S.-Israel relationship and encourages the widening circle of peace in the Middle East through the Abraham Accords. The U.S. and Israel share a strategic alliance and an alignment of democratic values, and Indiana and Israel have developed important economic relationships that continue to grow to the mutual benefit of our state and the State of Israel. Furthermore, Israel’s 75th birthday is something we should celebrate and uplift, recognizing the tremendous gains and strides the country has made in such a short period of time. JCRC appreciates the efforts of Congress to build and strengthen the longstanding, important relationship between the U.S. and Israel. In particular, we thank Representatives Baird, Banks, Bucshon, Houchin, Mrvan, Pence, Spartz, and Yakym from Indiana for their support of this important resolution.
JCRC and many members of the Jewish community are once again disappointed with Representative Carson, this time over his vote against H.Res. 311. While the vote to pass H.Res. 311 was largely symbolic, the message sent by Representative Carson’s conspicuous break from the rest of the Indiana Congressional delegation in voting to oppose it is hurtful to the Indianapolis Jewish community.
Representative Carson’s office explained to JCRC that he felt he could not support what he considered a one-sided resolution because it failed to recognize the existence and rights of Palestinians. This is a false dichotomy. Israel is not defined solely by its relationship with the Palestinian people, and H.Res. 311 celebrates Israel’s establishment as a nation among nations, as well as some of Israel’s broad achievements in diplomacy and ties to its closest ally, the U.S. Resolutions like H.Res. 311 are an opportunity to reaffirm the United States’ commitment to peace in the Middle East through normalization of relations between our strategic ally, Israel, and her neighbors. We believe it is unfortunate that Representative Carson would decline to express support for this wider U.S. goal, and we encourage his constituents to reach out, voice their opinion, and urge him to reconsider his approach to this issue.
Thank Representatives Baird, Banks, Bucshon, Houchin, Mrvan, Pence, Spartz, and Yakym for their support of H.Res. 311. Find their contact information here.
- I am grateful for your support of H.Res. 311.
- Your vote for this resolution demonstrates your support for the U.S.-Israel relationship, the Abraham Accords, and the 75th anniversary of the State of Isreal’s establishment.
Express your disappointment with Representative Carson’s vote. Find his contact information here.
- I am very disappointed by Representative Carson’s decision to vote against H.Res. 311.
- H.Res. 311 celebrates the U.S.-Israel relationship, the Abraham Accords, and the 75th anniversary of the establishment of the State of Israel.
- His vote against H.Res. 311 is hurtful to the Jewish community. Representative Carson missed a clear opportunity to show his support for the State of Israel.
- I urge Representative Carson to reconsider his approach to this issue.